Friday, February 19, 2010

A Moment to Think

So, although I don't feel that my writing is very good, my last post actually got me thinking. Why do people decide to make a certain character first? In my opinion, I think many people that play wow started out a first character, and never got him very far. In all likelihood, I think they stopped well before the level cap. I know that was the case with me the first time that I played. In the two times that I returned, the first character that I made has been the main one I played until I stopped, or in this case up to this point. But without fail, I know that I have always made multiple characters once the first one is set up and going well.

Normally when I do so, I have multiple reasons for it. Firstly, I am a fan of casters, so normally I will make a character to do that roll, despite having yet to get one all the way to the cap and play them in the end game. But this time, I had different reasons for almost every character that I made after my first, and for all the ones that I have leveled to the cap, I have a different reason.

Firstly, my second character to reach the cap was my hunter. I made he, I think, because the first character that I originally made was a hunter. As I said, the first character doesn't normally make it far, and he was soon replaced by a priest who I took all the way to 60 in the original game. I felt that leveling him up would be as sort of homage to my first character. That and I had recently recruited a friend and needed a character to level along side him. He decided to make a druid first, and we complemented each other well. He was able to dps, heal, or tank, and I had a pet to tank while I did damage.

My second character that I plan on reaching 80 as soon as possible is my druid. I talk a lot about him in here mostly because that is where I'm spending much of my time in game at the moment. I wanted to start him for the purpose of healing, after watching my friend excel at the roll on his druid. As I have previously stated, I am not a fan of the strong but slow single heals that the paladin has, it makes me feel useless. I wanted a character that would be able to help keep everyone, including the tank to some extent, alive for the fight. So far, I have not deviated from the goal to make him a healer at the end of the game, and as such have already bought him dual specialization. He will probably stay feral on his secondary spec to level and solo when he reaches the end of the game, but his primary spec and purpose is to heal.

I know that this was quite a long winded post, but it did have a central idea to it. Mainly, why did you make the first character that you made? How about subsequent ones? Did you have a goal that you were working towards, or was it what you felt like at the time? Are you one of those people that rerolled multiple times along with the "flavour of the month"?

No comments:

Post a Comment